CSLB License Classification

Who needs a contractor license in California?

If you are an independent contractor or “self-employed” performing any type of construction work totaling $500 more, including labor and materials, you must have a valid contractor license.

Requirements according to the CSLB (Contractors State License Board):
• 4 Years of Full- Time Experience in your trade within the last 10 years.
• Have an active ITIN or Social Security Number.
• Must be at least 18 years old.

License Types

(A) General Engineering Contractor
(B) General Building Contractor
(B-2) Residential Remodeling Contractor
(C) Specialty Contractor
C-2 - Insulation and Acoustical Contractor
C-4 - Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting Contractor
C-5 - Framing and Rough Carpentry Contractor
C-6 - Cabinet, Millwork and Finish Carpentry Contractor
C-7 - Low Voltage Systems Contractor
C-8 - Concrete Contractor
C-9 - Drywall Contractor
C-10 - Electrical Contractor
C-11 - Elevator Contractor
C-12 - Earthwork and Paving Contractors
C-13 - Fencing Contractor
C-15 - Flooring and Floor Covering Contractors
C-16 - Fire Protection Contractor
C-17 - Glazing Contractor
C-20 - Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning Contractor
C-21 - Building Moving/Demolition Contractor
C-22 - Asbestos Abatement Contractor
C-23 - Ornamental Metal Contractor
C-27 - Landscaping Contractor
C-28 - Lock and Security Equipment Contractor
C-29 - Masonry Contractor
C-31 - Construction Zone Traffic Control Contractor
C-32 - Parking and Highway Improvement Contractor
C-33 - Painting and Decorating Contractor
C-34 - Pipeline Contractor
C-35 - Lathing and Plastering Contractor
C-36 - Plumbing Contractor
C-38 - Refrigeration Contractor
C-39 - Roofing Contractor
C-42 - Sanitation System Contractor
C-43 - Sheet Metal Contractor
C-45 - Sign Contractor
C-46 - Solar Contractor
C-47 - General Manufactured Housing Contractor
C-50 - Reinforcing Steel Contractor
C-51 - Structural Steel Contractor
C-53 - Swimming Pool Contractor
C-54 - Ceramic and Mosaic Tile Contractor
C-55 - Water Conditioning Contractor
C-57 - Well Drilling Contractor
C-60 - Welding Contractor

The CSLB has listed the C-61 classification into "D" categories:

D03 - Awnings
D04 - Central Vacuum Systems
D06 - Concrete Related Services
D09 - Drilling, Blasting and Oil Field Work
D10 - Elevated Floors
D12 - Synthetic Products
D16 - Hardware, Locks and Safes
D21 - Machinery and Pumps
D24 - Metal Products
D28 - Doors, Gates and Activating Devices
D29 - Paperhanging
D30 - Pile Driving and Pressure Foundation Jacking
D31 - Pole Installation and Maintenance
D34 - Prefabricated Equipment
D35 - Pool and Spa Maintenance
D38 - Sand and Water Blasting
D39 - Scaffolding
D40 - Service Station Equipment and Maintenance
D41 - Siding and Decking
D42 - Sign Installation
D49 - Tree Service
D50 - Suspended Ceilings
D52 - Window Coverings
D53 - Wood Tanks
D56 - Trenching Only
D59 - Hydroseed Spraying
D62 - Air and Water Balancing
D63 - Construction Clean-up
D64 - Non-specialized
D65 - Weatherization and Energy Conservation
Have Questions?
Contact Us

Our team is happy to help you get started today!

California's #1 Contractor School

We present you with all the tools to pass your state exams and obtain your contractor license.

Get Your License